Hillsong - Yahweh ♥ & Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are ♥ (special edition by JS)

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Keeping Priorities Straight, Even at the End

After I read this article... i'm like..if the act of commiting suicide is the conclusion of all the problems and depression, then why did the mom bother to give birth to the kids if she knew that their kids would end their life the same way she did.

What a huge difference between Nocholas Hughes and Randy Pausch.

One who chose to end his life and one who has no control over his ..............

One who impacted so little...perhaps more on fishes related :P, yet Randy's impacted tons and still his story's spreading everyday...

What they chose may or may not influence our lives, but what you and I choose to do....will definitely bring impacts to our surroundings.

Think twice before we do things :)

Cheers & Be Courage enough to stay ALIVE!!



http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/books/24hughes.html?ref=books

Nicholas Hughes, 47, Sylvia Plath’s Son, Dies

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: March 24, 2009
Nicholas Hughes, the son of the poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, killed himself on March 16 at his home in Alaska, four decades after his mother and father’s lover took their own lives. He was 47.



Times Topics: Sylvia Plath
His sister, Frieda Hughes, announced his death, by hanging, over the weekend. Friends and family said he had long struggled with depression.


Mr. Hughes was a fisheries biologist who studied stream fish and spent much of his time trekking across Alaska on field studies. Shielded from stories about his mother’s suicide until he was a teenager, Mr. Hughes had lived an academic life largely outside the public eye.
Mr. Hughes’s early life was darkened by shadows of depression and suicide. Plath explored the themes in her 1963 novel, “The Bell Jar,” which follows an ambitious college student who tries to kill herself after suffering a nervous breakdown while interning at a New York City magazine. The novel reflected Plath’s own experiences, including her early struggles with depression and her attempt at suicide while working at Mademoiselle in New York as a college student.
After a stay at a mental institution, Plath went on to study poetry at Cambridge University, where she met Ted Hughes, who was on his way to world fame as a poet. The two were married in 1956 and had two children — Nicholas and Frieda — but separated in 1962 after Hughes began an affair with another woman, Assia Wevill. On Feb. 11, 1963, Plath killed herself at the age of 30 by sticking her head in an oven in her London home as Nicholas and Frieda slept nearby.

Six years later, Wevill, who had helped raise Nicholas and Frieda after Plath’s death, killed herself and her 4-year-old daughter, Shura. Wevill committed the murder-suicide in the same manner, using a gas stove.

Hughes, who became the British poet laureate in 1984 and was regarded as one of the greatest poets of his generation, resisted speaking openly about the deaths for many years. But in his last poetic work, “Birthday Letters,” published in 1998, he finally broke his silence and explored the theme. He died the same year, even as the book — considered in some ways a quest for redemption — was climbing best-seller lists.

Hughes was said to have protected his children from details about their mother’s suicide for many years. But in at least one poem he seemed to indicate that Nicholas, who was only 1 at the time of her death, was pained even as a small child. In one stanza he recalled how Nicholas’s eyes “Became wet jewels/The hardest substance of the purest pain/As I fed him in his high white chair.”

Nicholas Hughes had a passion for wildlife, particularly fish. As a young adult he studied at the University of Oxford, where he earned a bachelor of science degree in 1984 and a master of arts in 1990. Afterward, he traveled to the United States, earning a doctorate from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, where he became an assistant professor at the School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, carrying out research in Alaska and New Zealand. He resigned from the faculty in 2006 but continued his research, the school said.

On a memorial page on the university’s Web site, Lauren Tuori wrote of Mr. Hughes, recalling how he would often “seek out a larch tree in a forest of spruce.”

Comparing to my other posts 7/31/08
Randy's Story - The Last Lecture

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/health/08well.html?scp=1&sq=the%20last%20lecture&st=cse

Keeping Priorities Straight, Even at the End

No comments:

I hope it is a place where people get inspired. A place where a prayer is found..A place where supports are available..
Love shall never end..It shall never cease..Because all we have to do is to LISTEN & BELIEVE!

All About Me

“I asked God for strength that I might achieve. I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked for riches that I might be happy. I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among all men, most richly blessed.”

Personal Info:

Interests: collecting Starbucks cards (actually anything has to do with Starbucks), watching latest fashion trends, traveling, food tasting, watching movies, doing shoppings (of cuz when it is necessary!), driving nice cars (or just by looking at it), listening music (very imp!), playing piano & composing songs (lack of practice :P), writing stuffs on my blog, playing with my precious doggy (although Puffy's been pretty annoying lately), looking at beautiful things!! ^___^

Favorite Music Genres:
Pop, Jazz, Gospel, Soft Rock, R&B, Hip-Hop



Favorite TV Shows:
King of the Queens, Friends; Prison Break, Project Runway, Travel & Living...etc

Favorite Quotes:
*Easier Than You Think…because life doesn't have to be so hard -- Richard Carlson
*It is a greater compliment to be trusted than to be loved -- George MacDonald
*In poverty and other misfortunes of life, true friends are a sure refuge. The young they keep out of mischief; to the old they are a comfort and aid in their weakness, and those in the prime of life they incite to noble deeds -- Aristotle
*Keep a fair-sized cemetery in your back yard, in which to bury the faults of your friends -- Henry Ward Beecher
*The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend -- Henry David Thoreau
*A joy shared is a joy doubled -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Questions to Ask:
-Do my closest friends enjoy just being with me?
-Am I a friend that others depend on during difficult times?


Love isn't love unless it is expressed; caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included; Loving, caring, and sharing can make for a very happy marriage -- by Anonymous