Hillsong - Yahweh ♥ & Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are ♥ (special edition by JS)

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beautiful Island - Formosa/R.O.C./Taiwan






從歷史的角度來看台灣.....它也曾是一個不美麗的地方....這是1955年二月2日出刊的美國生活〈Life Magazine〉雜誌其中的專題---Faces of the Formosan Crisis 福爾摩沙危機的面貌。











THE DISPUTED ISLAND is shown in perspective drawing looking west toward south China coast. To the northwest, 200 miles away, are the Tachen islands, adjacent to Yikang, which Reds captured in a 2.500-man amphibious assault preceded by artillery fire from Toumen, occupied 21 months ago.

Nationalist-held islands. most important of which are Matsu and Quemoy, are only a few miles off mainland. Formosan bases indicated here are those whose location is a matter of public knowledge. The five carriers, three cruisers and 40 destroyers of the Seventh Fleet, along with some auxiliary vessels, are shown in the complement available to Admiral Pride last week, although disposition indicated is arbitrary. Force gathered at Tachens is shown as it might stand by to cover Nationalist landing craft evacuating troops to Formosa. Chief threat would come from jet aircraft operating out of the big Red bases in the Shanghai area.











在前面的背景資料中,第一句話就是,Formosa (called Taiwan by the Chinese) is a 235- mile- long island about 100 miles off the coast of China. 接下來的文字中,稱呼這島嶼一直都是用福爾摩沙。而且全篇專題的文字中統一採用,也從沒出現過一次 Republic of China。以當年這本雜誌的地位和發行量來看,其實這島嶼的名字在非漢語世界大概從四百多年前開始一直到差不多五十年前都還是福爾摩沙。到了1960年,國民黨對國際的文宣已經開始正式出現 Republic of China 的招牌。

No comments:

I hope it is a place where people get inspired. A place where a prayer is found..A place where supports are available..
Love shall never end..It shall never cease..Because all we have to do is to LISTEN & BELIEVE!

All About Me

“I asked God for strength that I might achieve. I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked for riches that I might be happy. I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among all men, most richly blessed.”

Personal Info:

Interests: collecting Starbucks cards (actually anything has to do with Starbucks), watching latest fashion trends, traveling, food tasting, watching movies, doing shoppings (of cuz when it is necessary!), driving nice cars (or just by looking at it), listening music (very imp!), playing piano & composing songs (lack of practice :P), writing stuffs on my blog, playing with my precious doggy (although Puffy's been pretty annoying lately), looking at beautiful things!! ^___^

Favorite Music Genres:
Pop, Jazz, Gospel, Soft Rock, R&B, Hip-Hop



Favorite TV Shows:
King of the Queens, Friends; Prison Break, Project Runway, Travel & Living...etc

Favorite Quotes:
*Easier Than You Think…because life doesn't have to be so hard -- Richard Carlson
*It is a greater compliment to be trusted than to be loved -- George MacDonald
*In poverty and other misfortunes of life, true friends are a sure refuge. The young they keep out of mischief; to the old they are a comfort and aid in their weakness, and those in the prime of life they incite to noble deeds -- Aristotle
*Keep a fair-sized cemetery in your back yard, in which to bury the faults of your friends -- Henry Ward Beecher
*The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend -- Henry David Thoreau
*A joy shared is a joy doubled -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Questions to Ask:
-Do my closest friends enjoy just being with me?
-Am I a friend that others depend on during difficult times?


Love isn't love unless it is expressed; caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included; Loving, caring, and sharing can make for a very happy marriage -- by Anonymous